Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Fort Caroline

Today was a milestone in several ways. It was my wife Caroline’s birthday, and more importantly (I joke), the final piece of my Vauban fort was completed on the 3D Printer. Yes Stuart I took your advice and moved it to the most isolated part of the house to allow overnight printing and undisturbed sleep! As a result it will be known as Fort Caroline, with a suitable inscription above the gate when I paint it. Christened with a couple of bottles of Prosecco, on a glorious day in the Scottish Highlands, things are not too bad .
Next, a trip to Fort George along the road to get the colours right, although the stone would probably have been cleaner and fresher when newly built in the 18th century and less weathered than the current fort.
Much credit has to go to Graham C who first notified and  tempted me to make this 3D fort, encouraged me to buy a 3D printer, and supported me along the way. It has been nearly a year to get to this point, but delighted with the result and another tick on my bucket list.




3 comments:

  1. It looks really impressive now complete and I can't wait to see it all painted up. Fort George is a great place to go, must get back there when the plague is all over, my ex father in law used to be a maintenance sparky there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donnie, Fort George is a favourite port of call for me, with an excellent museum. I was considering volunteering for the museum 1 day a fortnight or so, post lock down. Depends if it eats into painting time !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you've truly beaten me on this. Great to see it completed I now need to finish mine šŸ¤£

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...