Friday, October 25, 2019

We are going to need a bigger table ! Here comes the navy !

I have been mulling over this purchase for some time, but yesterday, I took the plunge, visited my local antique shop, used my negotiating skills developed watching Combat Dealers and countless daytime antique shows, to bag my best purchase in a long time. Each ship is around 30 inches in length and with detail to die for.  Even Mrs H approved the quality of the purchaser, although the fleet has orders to sail from the house to the games room !
                                                                 The Soleil Royal.
       Slightly early for 18th century campaigns, but it looks the part. Ideal for my French flagship

                                                                Le Protecteur
                                         Launched in 1760, ideal for 7YW actions
               I may convert this to a British ship to give The Soleil Royal an opponent. A change of flags                will hopefully suffice.

                         The deck of the Protecteur. 40mm figure on left, 28mm figure on right

                   The deck of the Soliel Royal. 40mm figure on right, 28mm figure on left


      Both 28mm and 40mm figures look great on the vessels, and I intend to use for both.
   I need to acquire some naval crews now, not fighting figures, but sailors working the ship. I will probably convert some S& S 40mm civilians, but I hope to acquire off the shelf 28mm 18th century sailors, if readers can give me  some suggestions.
The ships are too nice to cut way the base of the hull, but I will take them off their stands.
My table has a permanent cloth on the surface, so my plan is to create some 4x2ft base boards, or maybe 3x2ft, create an ocean effect, and have a slot/hole cut in the base board which will allow me to sink in the hulls to the correct depth.  The ships will be set in one permanent position but I hope to create a fleet of smaller flat bottom boats which can move around the baseboards.

Another exciting project to get stuck into, and one that I hope will eventually develop into a display set which I can show. ... Back to my French infantry for now

3 comments:

  1. Oh so you took the plunge eh! Wow! Those will look damn good and to be honest you have possible hit on the solution for using them without destroying them - a sea board with a cut slot.
    Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stuart... yes it's all your fault for tipping me off about them 😉 New project to get stuck into, both 28mm and 40mm

      Delete
  2. Oh dear you did it, now there's a real temptation to ask if the shop has some more that my chaps could crew? But I fear the price may be out of my reach 🤣

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...