Sunday, March 29, 2020

22 ers

I cannot remember if I  have previously made a post regarding this range, but anyway, here we go again.
Last year on the old AMG Forum we watched with fascination as John Ray sculpted a superb range of 22 mm figures covering the major nations in the Seven years War. (Prussia, Austria, Saxony, Russia, Hungarians & Croats from memory). These were delightful figures, sculpted to at least the same quality as his own 28/30mm collection and in a large enough range for each country to cover most scenarios. En masse this would have been a fantastic range to collect, and many of us got very excited about the prospect, but for a number of reasons, all understandable, John decided not to proceed with the range, the masters will now be sitting boxed up in his house, unlikely to see the light of day.
Some months ago, while visiting Graham C on 3d Printer business, he showed me an Austrian musketeer and grenadier figure in 20mm that he had printed. (He had down scaled these from 28mm). They reminded me of JR's 22 ers and Graham kindly gave me a couple of prints to try casting in metal. This process was delayed until my casting machine was back in action, but I have now cast and printed a stand of 10 muskeers, painted as regiment IR4 Deutschmeister,
Very pleased with the look, and a full regiment of 60-80 figures would look spectacular on the table, and not take up a great deal of space.
Despite now having several thousand 40mm Seven Years war figures for several nations, I would seriously taking the plunge and go down the 20-22mm route if the opportunity was ever available.
What do you think ?







9 comments:

  1. Very nice, have been humming and hawing about going down the 18mm Blue Moon and Eureka route for bigger battles but they look really nice and if they became available that's the way I would go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect!

    That is the look of the 18th century in miniature.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Graham I'm impressed now you really havecset the cat amongst the pigeons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some serious thinking in 2020 regarding this scale

      Delete
  4. 20(ish)mm would be the perfect scale for SYW for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am inclined to agree with you. 20 mm allows reasonable detail and cannot be matched en masse.

      Delete
  5. If i had the chance to start all over I would do it in 20mm. That's because the range of plastics (esp Hat, and now in resin) and metals (esp from Germany) make this the idea scale for big regiments. The figures are fine enough to carry detail, but small enough that they take up a fraction of the space of larger figs.
    Alas I don't have the space or time to start anew.....I've only done 2 of the 40mm French you gave me😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Stuart. I think most wargamers have a secret love of this scale because of Airfix, which we all grew up with. You have the chance to start again, you are just a young loon.

      Delete
  6. Hah, the loft couldn't take it.

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...