Tuesday, January 14, 2020

What I am up to this week.

Just working on Piemont infantry regiment, but as I need new castings, recruitment for this unit will stop for a short while. Meanwhile I have been building my collection of staff officers and other single pieces for my collection. Just finished the ADC in blue coat, holding a map. Pleased with the finish, but the photo does not really do it justice. The other French officers will make nice single action pieces next to the regimental units.


One of my bucket list ambitions is to put on a display game at a future show. You will remember that I purchased two fabulous ships from an antique shop some months ago, both which are suitable for 40mm scale. The problem was how to display them at water level without butchering the hull.
So on the advice of Stuart, I have bought some 50mm thick ekoboard and glued two pieces together to give a thickness of 100mm x1200mm x 600 mm or approx 4ftx2ft
I then cut a hole to fit the hull of the ship.


The ship fits in the board, sits on the baseboard, and the ekoboard reaches to the waterline

The next job will be to fix mdf board to the sides to give the ekoboard more strength, then layer the top with polyfilla, and then sculpt to look like sea and waves, ready for painting. I will repeat the process for the other ship, which should give me two baseboards which will represent the sea. I will purchase more 4x2 ft ekoboard which will eventually provide the baseboards to create a 6ft x12 ft display.






6 comments:

  1. Looking good Graham - told you it would work 😊 my eye was drawn to your backdrop - have you made that yourself ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian. Don't count your chickens yet. The fleet could still be scuttled. More work later today hopefully. The backdrop was a model railway scenic back drop that I bought on ebay. It was basically just a printed strip, but I mounted it on card. Plenty of them out there. About £8 from memory

      Delete
  2. Works well and saves those beautiful ships from a right old butchering!! The French ADC and officers are very nice as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donnie. The ships are a work of art. They would have taken for ever to make by hand, and not too expensive. (Just don't tell my missus !)

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...