Saturday, December 21, 2019

A tale of two painters - part 2

Thank you everyone who posted their comments on the two painting styles. I tend to agree with everyone that the brighter style stands out more. This finish is important for smaller scale figures to enable the eye be drawn to them. For larger scale, 75mm upwards, and busts, I think that the duller finish can work very well. I also think that this finish works better for WW1 onwards. For the earlier "full dress" periods, a brighter finish will make the uniforms stand out.
January 1st, I tend to make a start on my British and Hanoverian armies. (I already have a few British units, but these armies will be by main focus for 2020, while still "topping up" my French, Prussians, Austrians and Reicharmee units for some variety. Lots of plans, but by February it may all change !



1 comment:

  1. Good post Graham - whoever the painter is he’s good but no feel for colour of the period - however a couple more layers of highlighting and they are transformed so if he’s cheap enough - go for it - it’ll save you lots of time . It’s always the dilemma of time v price - I was quoted £15 a man recently by a very good painter - that’s £540 per battalion ! - I’m very lucky in that I’ve got my collection almost done so I’ve decided to do the rest myself - and spend the hobby money on getting masters made instead - Ian

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...