Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Time for a Review - My French Army

I started my French army about a year ago, and I am delighted with progress. Initially I was a bit sceptical about creating a French army, the uniforms all looked similar, and the flags a little simplistic. But I have found this army quite fascinating the more research that I do. There is actually  tremendous amount of uniform variation, especially when Irish, German, Swiss and Scots regiments are included and the flags are very colourful and different. Add to this militia, troops on foreign service, royal regiments etc, and there is no end of challenging uniforms to recreate. My current infantry regimental count stands at 13, with 2 cavalry regiments and 2 militia units, plus supporting units and vignettes.There is still much work to do and I am currently researching cavalry regiments that will look good on the table. I plan to start my Hanoverian army/British in January, and I will continue to paint more French cavalry. But the core infantry units are now complete, and that is when the fun can start. So I plan lots of French vignettes in 2020 in addition to painting redcoats and horses. I have recently printed many of the fantastic Eugene Leliepvre illustrations which are available on Pintrest, and these will provide great sources of inpiration for the vignettes.
So progress has been good in 2019, averaging about 1.75 regiments in 40mm per month, about 2-3 figures per day, 5-600 this year. With my Prussian and Austrian armies virtually complete, I have really enjoyed working on my Frenchies, and hope to have them on the table towards the end of 2020.

The French Orbat

Unit                                                     Btns                                     Total figs
Marine                                                 4                                                54
Provence                                              2                                                30
Champagne                                         4                                                54
Du Roi                                                 4                                                30
Gardes Francais                                 4                                                55
Diesbach                                             2                                                30
Royal Ecosse                                      2                                                 30
Dillon                                                 2                                                 30
La Mark                                             2                                                 30
Gardes Suisse                                    4                                                 54
Auvergne                                           4                                                  54
Grenadiers de France                       4                                                  54
Conde                                                2                                                  30

Militia
Martinique Militia                            1                                                   12
De La Roche's Militia                       1                                                   12

Cavalry
Royal Cravattes                                1                                                  12
Chasseurs Fischer                            1                                                  12







4 comments:

  1. Very impressive indeed I really think you need to put them on the table in a march pass to celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just have a Xmas parade Graham.... Now a Xmas vignette, that would be a nice addition to a collection. Troops gathered round a tree. Maybe an idea for JR. Fred dressed as santa.
    I may be crossing your path soon. Might venture across the border to Stockton next weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about parading them, I don't think your Prussians could resist the urge to sweep down on their flank!

    How about a winter game for our next meeting....I have the trees and cloth...?

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...