Thursday, November 14, 2019

A new book and an old book

Not much to report this week. My French infantry recruitment is nearing completion, with nearly 14 regiments painted up. The Grenadiers de France continue their recruitment, and I am also working on Reg Conde, a 2 btn unit which will complete the infantry meantime. My aim is to have my French infantry and artillery units basically completed by Xmas, with a new army in the pipeline for 2020.

Meanwhile a couple of new book purchases.


I spotted this Funken book at Kirriemuir, but the seller would only sell them as a set of 2. I already have Volume 1 in several languages and did not want more copies. Fortunately I managed to pick up volume 2 on Amazon, and it arrived today. Not a book for 18th century purists, with a number of mistakes, but Funken was one of my earliest introductions to the period, and the illustrations have a certain charm and can still give inspiration to new ideas. Volume 2 is seen far less than volume 1, and it may have had a smaller print run. I will certainly enjoy flicking through the artwork later.


I am currently reading the new Helion book on Hawley. Not the most popular person in these parts, and probably only Cumberland himself is more disliked. The book tries to redress the balance and gives an interesting insight into his life. Falkirk was something of a lost opportunity, if the Jacobites had pursued the government troops. Terrible weather on the day, and the uncertainty of the government strength, makes hindsight easy. It is difficult to comprehend how regiments who had performed so well at Fontenoy could not have stood firm on the day at Falkirk, and as for the government cavalry !
This is a well researched book on an often overlooked battle, and it makes a nice complement to the Prestonpans volume which was released previously. Good work Helion, you are producing some fantastic material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...