Sunday, November 10, 2019

Kirriemuir, the show, and a new distraction

Back from Targe, a long trip 3 hours each way, but an enjoyable day out. Kirriemuir is very much a gamers show, with very few traders, a mix of games, and plenty of time to catch up with friends.
Stuart  had a great Rome 1848 game, with some nice scenery, fantastic Vauban style fortifications and artillery which actually light up when they fired. There was also some clever modelling of artillery shells coming out of the guns. The game was compact, but very well presented. 
There were a couple of larger games featuring jungle themes which I must confess I did not look at in any depth as they are not in my sphere of interest, and I think they picked up the awards.
I was almost tempted to buy a second hand 3d resin printer from Commando miniatures, but decided that I would hold out for a Prusa or something similar, as scenery is my priority rather than figures.
I did buy some grass tufts, was tempted to buy a second hand copy of The Funken Lace wars cavalry book, but declined as they were being sold as a set, and I already have 2 copies of volume 1. Never minds, ordered one on Amazon when I got home.

I was attracted to a stand selling fabulous painted busts, 28mm figures and some larger ones. None of them really appropriate but then I spotted a wonderful 40mm diarama of "The retreat from Moscow" at a price I could not resist.
The painting is wonderful, not 18th century, but a beautiful display piece for my cabinet.
For me, it was a bit of a Jackie Fischer "dreadnought" moment, as they are so well painted, they make the rest of my collection obsolete !




Do not despair, I will not be venturing into the Napoleonic era, but I will try and up my game with a paint brush !

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work Graham - I’ve always fancied a little Retreat from Moscow game but I think I’d drop down to 28mm because there are some great models available
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian, not my period, but it is a lovely set. I will negotiate with Mrs H and see if it can go under the Xmas tree

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...