Wednesday, June 5, 2019

I have been up to something !

At the end of last week I received a batch of figures, 40mm and 28mm that had been kindly sent by Graham Cumming of Crann Tara Miniatures. These had been produced in resin using a 3D printer and consisted of a Prussian musketeer, grenadier, fusilier, officer, NCO, drummer and colour bearer.
Enough to create a command stand and full infantry units. The green resin finish makes it hard to appreciate the fine detail, so over the weekend I made a couple of moulds and did some white metal casts.
These will be based in sixes to produce infantry stands and a command stand.

Next, I had to paint up some figures to decide my next move. The castings are more to scale and thinner than many on the market. Proportions are correct and I find them fairly quick to paint.
I was after a look with the same type style as the Gilder/Willy/Stadden sculpts, but scaled to 40mm to make them compatible with the rest of my collection.
The heads are made to scale, making the facial detail smaller than most ranges on the market. I have taken the advice of my hobby friend John R, who suggested shading the eye sockets and leaving out the eyes. This works for me, I wanted a figure that looks right for the period and looks great en-masse. Graham's 40mm ers tick all the boxes for me.

The result is below.... My first infantry base, representing IR1 von Winterfeldt.



Next I put them on my table and matched then against my current regiments. The result was excellent. They do not look out of scale and have the look and feel that I have been seeking.
So the plan is to produce some more Prussian regiments, using 6 figures to a base, based on the new range. Graham has already said that he has Austrians in the pipeline, and cavalry to follow.
A big challenge lies ahead, but it means I can maintain my current collection and slowly "upgrade" it to a style that I am really happy with.
.... Back to the painting desk

5 comments:

  1. Just wow, Graham! Those figures look just fantastic, an intimidating-looking version of the marching Prussian pose. Grenadiers no less. I really like the effect of your painting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, they are a real joy to paint. Looking forward to seeing a full regiment painted up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, the grenadiers look imposing - the shading on the faces works really well. Looking forward to seeing a full regiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham excellent results the painted figures look excellent a great advert to,promote the range

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...