Thursday, May 23, 2019

Naval Matters

Today I visited a local shop to check out some wooden ships they have for sale. Now these are not cheap, but given the quality and work involved they are something of a bargain.

Dilema:

Do I need them     No
Do I want them     Yes
Will I regret not buying them  Probably

Each model is fully rigged, about 1 metre/36 inches in length and almost the same in mast height.
These would make superb centre pieces in a display game, would be ideal for 28mm and may even work for 40mm.  The downside is that the wooden hull would need to be cut to the waterline for effective display. This would greatly reduce any resale value.

I have some serious thinking to do. Any thoughts ? Help me with my dilema please !



4 comments:

  1. Serious dilemma- now if it was me then I wouldn't hesitate to get them for my 28's after I'd double checked how they would stand up to having the hull bottoms removed for rebasing.
    Now if it's only questionable re 40's and you want them for other than display then maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these ships could hold a full regiment of CT figures and a healthy naval crew as support. Need a big table though

      Delete
  2. Howard purchased a ship like those in your photographs and brought it up on one of his visits. Given the fragility, chopping the hull bottom off is near impossible. Even both of us trying to hold it in a safe position proved a no goer. It now resides in my loft, as it was and will remain so.
    John


    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comment. The ships are very light considering the size and you may well be correct. I did consider contacting a local woodworker who might have a cutter to do the job correctly.
    My concern would be the construction of the hull, and the worry it would collapse.

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...