Sunday, May 5, 2019

An inspirational Military Gentleman

Most people will know that my 40mm collection has been inspired by the wonderful armies of John Ray. When I purchased his book, A Military Gentleman, and the forum which followed it, my whole approach to wargaming/collecting changed. What had been a passing interest in the 18th century, inspired by "The Wargame" and other publications, and novels such as "Kidnapped" by RS Stevenson, became an all encompassing focus. My discipline to building armies improved, sticking to one period and one army rather than the "butterfly effect". The results were quick to see. Units were built quicker, and completed, and the standard of finish improved. This in no small part, was helped by master painter Dave Jarvis, who painted me samples of each regiment, which I could then reproduce to the best of my ability. I purchased flags in advance, from master flagsmith Mark Allan.
This allows me to have a stock of flags in advance and prevents me from diversifying too much or  from losing focus. Most of this advice came from the godfather of 18th century collecting, John.
So my next couple of posts pay homage to John, to his style of photography and to some of his sculpts which I have long admired. (Royalty cheque is in the post!)

The Royal Ecosse now have 5 bases completed, including a grenadier company. Very pleased with Mark's flags which have come out well. For the first time, I have placed the standard bearers at the rear of the base, which I think looks better, and I will continue to do this.
I will add another 2 bases of 4 figures, and a btn gun, with 2 figures, to bring the regiment up to 32 men. The regiment was only single btn, but I like the unit, so what the heck ! My target is to get this complete before Falkirk next Saturday, as I am sure that distractions will await, particularly on the Crann Tara stand !
The early morning mist and smoke of battle can clearly be seen in these shots !
I have always loved the long line shots in AMG
A front shot of Mark's wonderful flags in the morning mist


3 comments:

  1. Graham,

    Kind words indeed, thank you.

    The SYW is a most interesting period in Military History as is the AWI, with these two periods one does not lack variety and hobby fulfilment.
    The long line/ground level shots are my favourites as they give a feel of movement. This I believe can only be achieved with certain figures, your 40mm work as do my 30's, maybe it is the right leg forward.

    Once again great photos and thanks again.
    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham, photographs are excellent full of atmosphere and this is one of my favourite regiments.
    And of course your right John Rays book has a lot to answer for it was certainly a catalyst for me to expand the Crann Tara range and focus more on my 18th century collection

    ReplyDelete
  3.  It explains the causes of the war, the people, and nations involved as well. India's reactions

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...