Sunday, April 28, 2019

The books of Christopher Duffy and those wonderful Hussars

I am still in Francophile mood at the moment, so this morning I opened up Christopher Duffy's wonderful book "Prussia's Glory" to catch up again on the French contribution in the run up to Rossbach. I find reading material on the French army of 1756-63 is fairly thin, probably due to their perceived poor performance. I can read and re-read Duffy books. Nobody can make history such a good read as Duffy. Superbly factual, but written in an interesting style and packed with stories and first hand information. I am very much looking forward to the updated releases of "A Life of Marshal von Browne", and "Instrument of War", both of which Helion hope to produce in 2019.
I spoke to Helion at Salute, and they should be released later this year, depending on Mr Duffy's health. In true style, he wants to ensure his updates to the books are re-checked before going to print.
I think Helion are doing a great service to the 18th century with some of their recent prints. In my view their "Century of the Soldier" series is almost like a modern Osprey series, but with more detail and text. I believe the "Zweybrucken in Command" by Neil Cogswell should be out next month, which will be a great addition to our knowledge of the Reicharmee.

One of my hobby friends, and a true inspiration has recently been posting some images of his latest Hussar sculpts on his blog. I just had to add the image below, truly inspiring, and what a fantastic vignette this would make. It shows the 1st Szekely Hussars, under Seydlitz, after the re-capture of Gotha on 22nd Sept 1757. The haul of lackeys and loot included, wigs, dressing gowns, night wear, parrots, monkeys and the like. All brought along by the French officers to try and impress the local ladies... Somehow it sums up the French officer corps of the period, but what a great feature set this would make in miniature.. Maybe one for the future.





3 comments:

  1. Zweybrucken in Command is indeed a book of much value. CSG sent me a signed copy many years ago.

    You cannot go wrong if you have the books of Duffy, CSG, Horace St Paul and Brabant.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham
    I can't disagree with John at all on the must have authors - as you say Duffys books are always a good read but I still prefer my French tomthe Prussians

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...