Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Grenadiers of Hanoverian Reg. IR1a Von Scheither

Slow progress this week, but I have managed to complete this rather fierce looking stand of grenadiers which will go to make up a converged btn of 4 bases, officer and NCO.
Stephen Summerfields excellent book on the army of Hanover only gives a description of the mitre cap, so fingers crossed I have painted it reasonably correctly.
I do know that the Hanoverians created grenadier Btns, but I am not sure if the regiments grouped were fixed as in the Prussian style or if they tended to be grouped randomly per battle which was more the Austrian style. More research is required.
Meanwhile I will order the new book by Charles G tonight on small actions of the western campaign which should hopefully inspire these fellows to take to the table soon.

I am now in the nice position of deciding what unit to start next.
Another Hanoverian regiment, a French cavalry regiment or maybe the Dauphin regiment with that wonderful flag and attractive blue facings ?...... decisions decisions


6 comments:

  1. Very nice colour combination.

    Tricky to paint such detailed mitres. Pleased I will not be adding British or Hanoverian troops to the collection.

    Yes, RH8 will be most inspirational for the western theatre.

    Your French army is looking good.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I had avoided the French army previously as I was not inspired by the uniforms. How wrong I was! So much variety and quirkness, It has quickly become a favourite.
      I will add a few more infantry regiments yet.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the grenadiers, lovely uniform again, i really like the colour combinations Hanover used, made for some really colourful and cracking uniforms. Dauphin regiment would make a nice addition to your Frenchies, nice uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I agree that the scarlet and green work very well together.

      Delete
  3. Graham, The Grenadier Mitre colours look spot on. A good reference for uniforms and standards is Project Seven Years War. see:

    http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page

    Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Kronoskaf is one of my first ports of call.
      Of all uniform sources, I probably trust this site the most

      Delete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...