Saturday, December 14, 2019

Going old school with Les Higgins

I have always liked 20mm. Like most of us, the Airfix range first got me into the hobby. My first box was the British guards set, followed by the British 8th army, and not long after a box of Confederates.
My interest in 20mm was regenerated through the old "A Military Gentleman" forum, which took us through the process of John Ray sculpting a delightful range of 7YW armies in 22mm, which covered Prussia, Austria, Hungary, Russia & Saxony, if my memory serves me correctly. Alas, these sculpts never went into production. John felt that the range would only have limited appeal, but I do think that the scale would have been ideal for German collectors. Recently while visiting Graham Cumming, to view his 3d printer, he showed me some 20mm Austrians which he had printed. These instantly appealed to me, and I hope to paint some up soon. Later that evening, back in my hotel room, I was killing time "googling" 20mm figures and some of the Les Higgins Marlborough range popped up. I was impressed by the sculpting of these figures. They looked thin, elegant and anatomically correct and just seemed right for the early 1700's. I was delighted to find that this range is still made, and even more pleased when I found that a small collection of 47 of them were for sale on Ebay. After spending more than I had intended, my bid was successful, and they arrived today.



I am very pleased with the look of these figures and I hope to start painting them shortly.


If I reduce the oval bases by cropping the sides, I will be able to mount 2 rows of 4 figures and 2 officers, drummers, ensigns or NCO's at the rear of each base. Three bases of 10 figures will allow me to represent a btn, and six bases a full regiment, where appropriate.
Looking forward to getting these chaps undercoated.




3 comments:

  1. Graham,

    Mr G. C. was kind enough to send me a 20mm Austrian which is a very nice miniature. I will post a photo on my blog tomorrow comparing the 20 with a 22'er.

    You are correct regarding that the range covered over 100 figures and the nations mentioned.

    The reasons for non-production are many, but they remain wonderful sculpts.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham,
    If I was to do Marlburian this would be my go to scale and range.
    Check out Tony Howard's 'Prometheus in Aspic' blog he's been bitten by the same bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Graham, had a brief look at Tony's blog and it seems packed with interesting stuff. I will have a good browse this evening. Les Higgins was certainly a fine sculptor and his figures have a real charm. Hopefully I will get some painted this week. Also looking forward to seeing your 20mm Austrian in lead. A very interesting scale comparison on John's Military Gentleman blog

    ReplyDelete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...