Monday, December 30, 2019

A review of the armies for 2019

Today I decided to to an approximate head count of my 40mm painted armies.
The results are below:

Nation                               Infantry                          Cavalry                    Total
Prussia                                  700                                  150                          850
France                                   580                                    68                          648
Austria                                  320                                    96                          416
Hungary                                120                                                                  120
Croats                                     30                                                                    30
Russia                                   100                                                                  100
Reicharmee                             42                                                                    42
Saxony                                  134                                                                  134
Jacobites                                 44                                                                    44
Great Britain                           70                                                                    70

Total                                     2140                                314                         2454

Austria and then Prussia were the armies which I started with.
Most of my French army has been painted in 2019, which means that I averaged about 2 x 40mm figures per day, which is about right. ( I do have another life). 2500 x 40mm figures seems a lot, but there are always more to do, and more projects to start. I want to build a Hanoverian army and add to the British in 2020. I will also probably dabble in other countries and add some units, The Saxons & Reicharmee will probably get some attention.
My favourite army tends to be the one I am painting at the time (with the exceptions of Hussars, which I find a pain in the a***!), but I have really enjoyed the French, although I was put off for years, by what I considered to be bland uniforms. How wrong can I be ! Indeed I have recently completed some figures in white coats, waistcoats, white sleeves and facings, (Bourbonnais), and I consider it one of the most striking of all the French units.

So the message for me is that you can never have enough armies and regiments, and there is always another uniform to paint or figure to sculpt, that you just have to make. I suppose that is the beauty of the hobby and collecting in general. It is never ending and there is always something fresh to focus on.

A big thanks to all my hobby friends for making 2019 the best hobby year ever.
I look forward to seeing/hearing from everyone again in 2020 and hopefully to enjoy our great hobby even more.
A Happy Hogmanay to all when it arrives !!

1 comment:

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...