Thursday, June 4, 2020

Update

Not much to report this week, but the painting continues. With lock down it can be difficult to be creative and too much hobby time can lead to “burn out”. The author of the “A Military Gentleman” blog where I acquire much of my inspiration, is feeling much the same, but I do hope he continues with his blog. One worry is that blogger are changing the format shortly and I do not like the new setup. Unless I can continue with my existing blog in the same format, I also fear that it may come to an end.
So some progress made with my first base of Saxons.

My main diversification is an “upscale” to 54mm, where I have revisited my first love and repainted some old lead Britains in Matt style. I think they are very nostalgic, and they remind me of the wonderful artwork of  Simkin and Harry Payne who painted uniforms of the British army in the period 1890 to 1914. I love old photographs of regiments on manoeuvres wearing full dress before the  Boer War, even the guards regiments on route marches with their bearskin hats in high summer.
Remarkable that the Great War was only a decade ahead !

Scots and Coldstream guards on exercise.

4 comments:

  1. Afternoon Graham,

    I am definitely not moving over to the new blogger. If you do like it they say that you can only revert back for a very short stay so it looks like the end of the AMG BLOG which is a shame as the blog has a good following of readers with over 4500 page views a month.

    My waning only lasts a day or so and I am already on the next figure.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. I have real concerns with the new blogger...
      I do not know the answer. Blogs do have there limitations, but I find that regular interaction with like minded people a really important part of the hobby. Email does not really achieve this. Hopefully we can find a solution to the problem. AMG would be a big loss.

      Delete
  2. The Saxons are looking tasty, they will be lovely en masse. The 54mm guards are really very nice indeed, great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. Problem is that I am enjoying all three scales right now, 30mm, 40mm and 54mm. But I suppose that is the whole point of our hobby.

      Delete

Refighting History Volume 8

“The Seven Years War, Western Theatre, small actions”, by Charles Grant. This arrived today as a belated birthday present ! Why did I wa...